Chicken Crockpot Recipe Quinoa-Recipe 1
- 1 pound chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes (or tomato puree)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 1 bell pepper (finely chopped or thinly sliced)
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans or black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
Gather the ingredients.
In a slow cooker, combine chicken, broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chili powder, garlic powder, coriander, and salt. Cook the chicken on high for 3 hours.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it with a fork and knife. Put the chicken back in the slow cooker. Add quinoa, bell pepper, and beans. Cook on low for 2 more hours.
Sprinkle grated cheese on top. Continue to cook until the cheese melts.
To serve, spoon the chicken and quinoa into individual serving bowls. Each person can top it with plenty of their favorite garnishes.
Chicken Crockpot Recipe Quinoa-Recipe 2
In The Crockpot:
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups + 3 cups chicken broth (SEE NOTES)
- 4–6 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper, other dried herbs you like (I tossed in 1/2 teaspoon each dried parsley, thyme, and basil)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 ounces pesto (SEE NOTES)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen peas
- squeeze of lemon juice
- watercress, fresh parsley, chives, or any other herbs for topping
- Parmesan or Asiago cheese for topping
- Rinse the quinoa. Cut the chicken if you want – you can either cut it into small pieces (it will cook faster) or leave it whole and shred it after cooking.
- Place the quinoa, chicken, 4 cups broth, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and seasonings in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- When the quinoa and chicken are done, the mixture should be very thick and sticky. Add the remaining 3 cups broth or water and stir to combine (see notes) – now the mixture should resemble a creamy risotto or casserole. Stir in the pesto, peas, and lemon juice and cover to heat through. While the peas are heating in the crockpot, heat the oil in a skillet – add the asparagus and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until the asparagus is lightly browned and tender-crisp. Add the asparagus back to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Top each serving with fresh herbs, shredded cheese, watercress, olive oil, or anything else you want.
Chicken Crockpot Recipe Quinoa-Recipe 3
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup tri colored quinoa
- 4 oz cream cheese, reduced fat
- 2 red bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (2-3 chicken breasts, halved if they’re big)
- 1 jar (16 oz) salsa, heat level of choice (I use Frontera salsa in jalapeno and cilantro flavor which is medium)
- Pour water into a slow cooker. Pour in quinoa.
- Dollop the cream cheese around the crock pot (I usually do about 4-5 dollops of it).
- Add chopped bell peppers and chicken breasts to the crock pot, then pour jar of salsa over the chicken and set the slow cooker to low and let cook on low for 8 hours (you could stir it once or twice while it’s cooking, but that’s not necessary. Also, I’ve found that when you turn off the heat, if you remove the lid for 15-20 minutes the quinoa firms up.)
- To serve simply divide chicken onto 4 plates and spoon quinoa/pepper mixture on the side, the chicken will fall apart so there’s no need for a knife, serve and enjoy!
Chicken Crockpot Recipe Quinoa-Recipe 4
- 1½ cups dry quinoa
- 1 lb. raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth, divided use
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil (or chives or parsley)
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 6 tsp. prepared pesto sauce
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups shredded (or grated) carrots
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place quinoa, chicken, 4 cups broth, garlic, and basil in a 3-quart slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Mix well and cover; cook on low for 3 to 3½ hours, or until chicken is not pink and quinoa is tender. The mixture will be very thick and sticky.
- Remove lid. Add remaining 3 cups broth, 1 cup at a time, until mixture resembles the consistency of risotto. You may not need to add all of the broth.
- Add pesto sauce, peas, and lemon juice; mix well and cover. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until carrots are tender-crisp.
- Add asparagus; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until asparagus is tender-crisp.
- Fold carrot mixture into quinoa mixture; mix well.
- Top each serving with 1 Tbsp. cheese.