Chicken Crockpot Recipe Vindaloo-Recipe 1
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 4 inch piece fresh ginger chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 red hot chili peppers de-seeded and chopped*
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup pureed tomatoes canned or fresh
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 yukon gold potatoes skinned and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch optional
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish optional
For the Slow Cooker:
- Mix together spices into a small bowl. Add spices, ginger, garlic, peppers, tomato paste, vinegar, and broth to a food processor or blender and pulse. Continue to pulse until a thin paste/sauce is formed pausing to scrape down the sides when needed.
- Place potatoes at the bottom of your slow cooker. Top with chicken, then onion. Pour sauce on top.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until the chicken is tender and can be easily shredded. Check on the sauce. If you want a more thick sauce, add 1 tbsp arrowroot starch with 1 tbsp water to the slow cooker. Stir and continue to cook for another 15 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh cilantro (if using).
For the Instant Pot:
Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Coat the bottom of your pot with oil once hot, then add onion, ginger, garlic, and peppers. Saute for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant and lightly browned. Select cancel.
- Transfer the onion/garlic mixture to a blender. Now add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, chicken broth, garam masala, coriander, turmeric, mustard, cinnamon and sea salt. Blend all ingredients until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Clean your instant pot to ensure the onion mixture is not sticking to the bottom. Return the pot back to the base, and pour the sauce into the pot.
- Now add in the chicken and potatoes. Secure the lid and select manual or pressure. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Use quick release once cooking is complete, and remove the lid once steam is completely released.
Serve plain or over a bed of rice. Garnish with additional salt to taste and fresh cilantro.
Chicken Crockpot Recipe Vindaloo-Recipe 2
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 large yellow onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 10 cm piece fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into chunks
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 dried red Thai or serrano chile peppers, stems removed (use 2-3 more if you like a fiery vindaloo)
- 1/2 Tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 Tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 Tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp brown or black mustard seeds
- approximately 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, and/or thighs, cut into 2.5 cm pieces
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is warm, add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are brown but not burned, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, and cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor fitted with the metal blade, along with the remaining tablespoon of oil, and puree. Scrape the puree into the slow cooker. Do not wash the food processor.
- Now, add the ginger, garlic, chile peppers, turmeric, coriander, garam masala and cinnamon to the food processor. Process into a paste. Scrape the paste into the slow cooker.
- With a mortar and pestle or a dedicated spice grinder (a coffee grinder works well, as long as you’re not using it for coffee!), combine the black peppercorns, salt and mustard seed, and crush together into a coarse powder. Add that mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken and 1/4 cup of water to the slow cooker and, with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir everything together. Set the cooker to LOW and cook for 6 hours. Lift the lid (yes, it’s fine to do that) after the first 4-1/2 hours, and give the vindaloo a good stir.
- Serve hot, with steamed basmati rice or naan.
Chicken Crockpot Recipe Vindaloo-Recipe 3
- Dry Spice Mix:
- 2 dry red chilies (or ½ tsp red chili flakes)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp seeds from black cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp green chili paste or as per taste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp tamarind paste or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Red chili powder as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- In a small pan, add first 6 ingredients listed under dry spice mix and dry roast them until fragrant. Add them to a spice grinder along with the rest of the ingredients under dry spice mix and grind until smooth paste forms.
- Now in a blender, blend tomatoes and onion.
- Heat slow cooker by covering the lid for 30 minutes at high setting. Add tsp of ghee to the cooking vessel in slow cooker. Add mustard seeds. As they start to pop, add tomato + onion paste along with spice paste we made earlier. Mix and add 1 cup water. Cover and cook gravy on high for 1:30 minutes.
- Add chopped pieces of protein of your choice. If using a hard cut of meat such as beaf or pork, I would suggest adding it initially along with the gravy mix so it keeps cooking as it will take longer to cook as compared to chicken.
- I used chicken and added it after cooking gravy for 1:30 minutes and cooked covered at high for another 2 hours.
- Taste and adjust spices as per taste. Sometimes I like to remove the cooked chicken pieces and using hand blender puree the gravy for smooth texture.
- Serve with naan.
Chicken Crockpot Recipe Vindaloo-Recipe 4
- 4 small boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Side: rice
- Side: veggies
- Chop the small yellow onion.
- In a large mixing bowl, carefully whisk together the tomato paste, white vinegar, minced garlic, chili powder, ground ginger, paprika, ground cloves, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, dry mustard and sugar.
- Place the chicken breasts and chopped onion in the base of the slow cooker and pour the vindaloo sauce over and around the chicken. Season with pinch of salt and pepper.
- Set on low and cook for 8 hours. Once the chicken is cooked, shred with fork and combine with the sauce.
- Cook the rice as directed.
- Prepare veggies.
- Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Vindaloo with rice and veggies.
- Instant Pot Instructions: add chicken breasts, onion and alls the seasonings to insert. Close the lid and set to Sealing. Cook on High, Manual for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cooked through. Let pressure release naturally. Keep on warm mode until ready to serve – shred the chicken into the sauce, straining if needed. Serve over rice with veggies.