Chicken Crockpot Recipe Vesuvio-Recipe 1
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs on the bone skin on
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes cubed
- 1 onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon butter optional, but oh so good
- parsley for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sided skillet over medium high heat. Generously season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken thighs for about 5 minutes on each side until a nice golden brown. You’ll know when they are ready to turn when they give away from the pan. You may need to do this in batches.
- While they are browning, add the potatoes , oregano and thyme to the slow cooker – sprinkle again with some salt and pepper. Top with the chicken as it finishes browning.
- When all of the chicken is browned, add the white wine to the skillet and scrape to get all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken broth, the garlic and the onion and cook for a couple of minutes, continuing the scrape the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and pour this mixture over the chicken and potatoes in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours. About an hour before serving, add the frozen green peas.
- Right before serving, stir in the butter to add a little richness. Serve with fresh parsley sprinkled on top.
Chicken Crockpot Recipe Vesuvio-Recipe 2
- 8 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pounds red potatoes cut into 2″ chunks
- 1 jar 3.5 ounces capers, undrained
- 3 large shallots peeled and minced
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 quart slow cooker
- Large skillet
- Wooden spoon
- Slotted spoon
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, brown the chicken thighs on both sides, four at a time.
- Place four chicken thighs in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Top the thighs with half of the cut up potatoes. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Top the potatoes with the remaining browned chicken thighs and the remaining potatoes that have been seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Pour the capers over the potatoes in the cooker and top evenly with the shallots.
- Add the wine to the skillet and over medium/low heat, stir in the chicken broth making sure to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the thyme and butter until melted.
- Pour the pan sauce over the chicken and potatoes in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Right before serving add the fresh lemon juice and stir.
- Remove the chicken and potatoes with a slotted spoon and serve.
Chicken Crockpot Recipe Vesuvio-Recipe 3
- 6 (12 ounce) bone-in, skin-on split chicken breasts, trimmed
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tbsp. EVOO
- 2 onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced to a paste
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes (4 to 5 medium), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 grated lemon zest plus 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice.
1. Dry chicken with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp, EVOO in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add half of chicken, skin side down and brown lightly, about 5 minutes, transfer to plate and repeat with other half of the chicken. Cool slightly and discard the skin.
2. Add onion, half of garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes to fat left in pan and cook over medium high heat until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in wine, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
3. Microwave potatoes with remaining tbsp. oil in covered bowl, stirring occasionally, until nearly tender, about 5 minutes, transfer to slow cooker. Stir broth into slow cooker. Nestle browned chicken with any accumulated juice into slow cooker. Cover and cook until 4 to 6 hours on low.
4. Add rosemary spring, cover, and cook on high until rosemary is fragrant about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to potatoes to serving platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface until large spoon. Discard rosemary. Stir in peas and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon 1 cup sauce over chicken and serve with remaining sauce.
Chicken Crockpot Recipe Vesuvio-Recipe 4
- 2 tbsp (heaping) white flour
- 1 tbsp (heaping) wheat flour
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp (heaping) black pepper
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 4 baking potatoes, cut in 6-8 wedges each
- 2 medium onions, cut in thin wedges
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Mix both flours, oregano, salt, pepper and flaxseed meal in a large ziplock bag. Add washed and dried chicken breasts a few at a time to coat. Place chicken breasts in a large skillet with olive oil until just brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Line crockpot with slow cooker bag. Put potatoes, onion and garlic in the bottom of the crockpot, add wine and broth. Place chicken on top, pour pan juices on top.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 2.5- 3 hours. Save washing another platter and serve directly from the crockpot- sprinkle chopped parsley if desired, and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
- Not included in the nutrition info, but goes very well with a bed of brown rice or pasta.